It is very important to us that personal information we hold is safe and secure, and only used for the right reasons. We respect the privacy and legal rights of everyone whose personal information we hold.
This privacy notice explains why we collect and use personal information and tells you about your legal rights.
Who are we?
We are Fire & Rescue Indemnity Company Limited.
How do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information:
- when we are asked to consider an application for membership and Protection
- when a Member renews or makes changes to their Protection
- while providing services to our Members
- when someone contacts us by phone, email or letter
- if you complete the contact form on our website
- if a Member makes a claim
- if someone makes a claim against a Member
- if you are a witness to something that may lead to a claim
- if we receive a complaint
- if someone makes a request to a Member under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
- If you make a claim against a Member, we may be given information about you by third parties such as your solicitors or doctors.
We record telephone calls to make sure that we follow instructions correctly and for staff training purposes.
Why do we collect personal information and how do we use it?
We collect, use and store personal information for our legitimate business interests and the legitimate interests of our Members and the general public, and so that we can:
- provide and administer the Protection
- arrange or introduce products and services provided by somebody else
- understand our Members’ needs and requirements so we can improve current
- products and develop new products
- comply with Companies Act requirements and other legal obligations
- send information and documents about company matters
- notify changes to our services
- investigate, process and pay claims
- obtain legal advice
- recover debts
- bring or defend legal actions
- detect crime and prevent fraud
- respond to complaints.
What sort of personal information do we collect?
Personal information is anything that can identify a living person. The information we collect may include your:
- name and address
- telephone number and email address
- age and gender
- video image
- vehicle registration number
- employment records
- health and medical records.
Information about health and medical records are known as “special category data” and need special protection. We will only use special category data if the person agrees that we can use it for one or more specified purposes.
Do you share my personal information with anyone else?
We share personal information with our Managers. They run our day to day business including renewals and claims and handling. We also share personal information with other organisations who are essential to the running of our business and the services and products we provide to our Members. This includes insurers, underwriters, loss adjusters, legal and medical advisers. The contracts with our service providers say that personal information we give them can only be used to provide agreed services and to comply with legal obligations.
We may also give personal information to fraud prevention agencies.
The police and other law enforcement authorities can ask for personal information to detect or prevent crime or to comply with legal obligations. If they ask, we have to give the information.
We will not give information to anyone else unless:
- the person agrees
we are allowed or required by law to disclose it
we are involved in a sale, merger, reorganisation, transfer of business or dissolution.
Our Managers manage several other Mutuals and may use information from some or all of the Mutuals to help improve the services provided by them and the Mutuals and to make sure that records are accurate and up to date. Someone involved in the management of another Mutual may need to have access to personnel personal information we hold, so procedures are in place to make sure that such access is only allowed on a need to know basis and that the use of the personal information is always fair and lawful.
How long do we keep personal information?
We will only keep the information for as long as we need to use it for the purposes it was given to us and for our business needs in accordance with our information retention standards (available on request), or as required by law or regulation.
When we no longer need to keep your information we will securely and confidentially destroy it.
Do we send personal information outside the UK and the European Economic Area?
We do not currently send personal information outside the UK and the EEA but if we ever did, we would have a contract in place to make sure that the information is protected if we give it to businesses and organisations in countries that do not provide the same level of personal information protection as the UK.
Can you tell us to stop using your personal information?
If the only reason we hold your information is because you have agreed we can, you can tell us to stop using all or part of it at any time. This includes information about your health and medical records, but if you are making a claim for personal injury and you tell us to stop using your medical records, we may not be able to deal with your claim.
Will you tell me if you change the way you use my information?
It is very unlikely to happen, but if we want to use your information for a new reason which isn’t the same as the original reason for collecting it and which you might not expect, we will write to you to tell you about the new reason and explain why we want to use the information in the new way.
What are my rights?
The law gives you special rights. You have the right to:
- know if we hold your information
- know what we use it for
- know what sort of information we hold
- know who we share it with
- know how long we will keep your information
- receive a copy of the information we hol
- have irrelevant information deleted
- have any inaccuracies corrected
- restrict the way we use your information until inaccuracies are corrected
- in some cases, have your information deleted from our records.
Who do I need to contact about the information you hold about me or if I have a concern?
If you have any questions about why we collect your information and how we use it, or:
- if you want a copy of it
- if you are unhappy with the way we are using your information
- you believe we should not be using it
please contact us:
The Information Officer
Fire & Rescue Indemnity Company Limited
8 Maltings Place
169 Tower Bridge Road
London SE3 3JB
If you wish to make a complaint, we will deal with your complaint as quickly as we can.
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
You can contact the ICO by:
- completing the details at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/
- telephoning 0303 123 1113
- writing to
Information Commissioner’s Office